The entire cemetery is surrounded by trees, which limit the cemetery as a resting park and dam up any disturbing environmental noise. The park invites to pause, reflect and meditate.

Entrance area of the cemetery with a resting bench.

Tomb of the only French deceased prisoner of war still buried in the cemetery.

Captain Louis – Eugene – Alexandre Hasne
3rd Company, of the 2nd Battalion, of the 319th Infantry Regiment

He was born on 30 March 1891 in Cherbourg (Manche),
he died on June 16, 1918.

View of the area left of the main path at the cemetery. Here as well as in the area on the right side of the path there are only a few sandstone crosses without names in memory of the dead soldiers buried here.

The area right of the main path at the cemetery.

The Irish High Cross is placed approximately in the center of the cemetery on the right side next to the main road.

In the overall impression of the cemetery the cross is rather inconspicuous at first sight, but it unfolds its unique beauty when viewed from close up.

As you can see on this and the previous picture, the whole cemetery is fenced in by a half-height hedge.

In the last third, at the end of the main path, there is a monument to the Russian soldiers buried here, most of whom died in camp STALAG XII during the Second World War. This camp was located in Freiendiez. The dead soldiers were mainly prisoners of war, who died in the camp. Some Russian soldiers died in a bomb attack on the camp on 23 December 1944. The camp was erroneously attacked by American bomber units, because the set markers, the so-called Christmas trees, had been driven away by a strong east wind in the direction of Diez, thus setting a false marker. The original target had probably been the railway station in Limburg, which was spared on this day.

Close-up of the Russian monument.


Resting here



Prisoners of War

which in the

hard time


died far

from their home.