Dietkirchen brief info
The following points are only intended to provide a Dietkirchen brief info on the most important dates, events or locations of Dietkirchen. More detailed information can be found on the other pages of the homepage.
From the time of the Germanic tribes, knowledge of a pagan place of worship on the limestone rock near Dietkirchen has been preserved to this day. This place was called grove. It was the first in the Lahngau. It was the place where they used to hold court. The “Reckenforst”, the place of legal assembly, was in the immediate vicinity. It is already mentioned in a document from 1217. This meeting place was also called Thing.
First documentary mention
Dietkirchen is first mentioned in a document in the year 841. The village is however older. A lower aristocratic family: “Die Dietkirchener Herren” lived here.
The Christianisation of the Lahn area and the former Lubentius monastery play a special role in the history of the village. In the discussion about the Christianisation of Dietkirchen, it is repeatedly claimed that Lubentius did missionary work there. This view is wrong. The beginnings of Christianity at the Lahn reach from about the 6th to the end of the 7th century. The foundation of the village probably also lies in this period.
The foundation of the Lubentius monastery can be dated to the year 841. In the Romanesque collegiate church lie the remains of St. Lubentius, around whom many legends have been formed. The mortal remains were probably transferred from Kobern on the Moselle to Dietkirchen before 841. During the secularization the monastery was in full swing. At that time the parish counted about 425 souls.
The Lahn ferry in Dietkirchen is already mentioned between 1048 and 1098. The operation of this ferry was a feudal right. In 1959 the ferry operation was stopped. As a replacement, a 145-metre long and 3.30-metre wide wooden bicycle and pedestrian bridge was built below the rock in 1989.
The Dietkirchen market also belongs to the local history. The first beginnings can no longer be dated. Probably they lie in the high middle ages. Visitors from near and far used to come to visit the market. Since a few years the historical market has been revived.
The village was not spared from warlike events in the past centuries. During the First World War a prisoner of war camp was established near Dietkirchen. Today there is a war grave site near the former camp.
Dietkirchen as a district of Limburg
In 1971 the municipality gave up its independence and was the first of the surrounding villages to be incorporated into the city of Limburg. The district has 1724 inhabitants
(www.limburg.de (Stand 29.12.2019) September 2019, Quelle: Einwohnermeldeamt Stadt Limburg).